Crinkly-Tag blankets are super easy to sew up and make great baby shower gifts. Not only that, but babies love to play with them! Here’s how to make a set for your next baby shower or to gift your own new arrival.
* Two 10 and 1/2 inch by 10 and 1/2 inch squares of coordinating fabric (I used one cotton novelty print and Minky dot)
* Various pieces of textured ribbon measuring at least 5 inches, in coordinating colors. (I used a variety of cross grain and satin because that is what I had available.) The more variety in the ribbon textures the more interesting the tags will be for baby.
* crinkly material. I used a piece of diaper wipe bag but anything that is sew able and makes a nice crinkly sound will do. I’ve seen this done with a zip lock baggie, cellophane, and plastic shopping bag as the materials.
1. Cut material using rotary cutter and mat. This is especially important if using Minky fabric (as I mentioned before, I have a love-hate relationship with this material. I’ve asked my few crafty friends their advice and get about a 50-50 reaction either way. If anyone has any advice or commiserations I’d love to hear about it.)
I make sure to turn my Minky right side down when cutting because I’ve found otherwise that I get an unholy mess with fuzz everywhere. For some reason this technique has worked for me.
2. Cut your ribbon into 5 inch pieces and play with your ribbon placement. I liked the look of 3 each on the top and bottom and 4 on each side but the layout will vary depending on the width of your ribbon and how many colors you’ve used in your pattern.